Sunday, December 6, 2015

A Day at the Mall

Each year the holidays approach quicker and quicker.  As soon as President's Day comes and then Valentine's Day it seems like it's just a downward spiral for me!  Lol.  But really, I just woke up and even in my dreams I'm Christmas shopping and that's just not my thing!  In my family we have never been materialistic regarding Christmas.  I have made my presents many a year as have my sisters and that is just fine with me.  I really don't expect anything from anyone during the holidays because I know that money is tight plus I value my family and friends' love and time more than any item they could present to me.  In addition, Christmas is about the Savior's birth and what it means for us.

Thursday I really needed to get out.  It had been several days straight since I had left my house and I was about to commit hari Kari.  I asked my mom to drop me off at the local mall since she wanted to do her Christmas decorating.  It was great to get out! I told my mom to plan on picking me up the next day because I wasn't planning on returning for a long time :).  I danced into Nordstrom shoe department with a smile on my face, caressing the Italian leather holding it ever so tightly to my bosom!  I primped in Sephora transforming myself from an ugly duckling to a swan...yeah...I wish!  And then ...  I was exhausted!!  But I was only there for one hour how could this be?  I decided to stay longer after all, I'm used to pain and I can push through.  I had a falafel for lunch, yum, and relaxed for a while.  Don't you just love people watching?  At one point I called my mom and asked, "Would it be considered rude to take off my boots and lay on the couch at the mall?"
She said yes!  Totally rude.  I did refrain.  While shopping I did see a lot of Christmas sweaters that I wanted to buy.  My m.o. is I shop, I narrow it down and select then I don't buy.  I'm a salesperson's nightmare.  But, it saves my a lot of money!  I highly recommend it to everyone.  So I manage to escape from the mall without purchasing any presents except a cleanser I needed.  As I look around at other shoppers clutching their treasure trove of gifts I thought about the real meaning of Christmas.  True, I would love for someone to buy me beautiful things but my treasures are my family (3Nephi 13: 19-21) Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.  My wishes for you, my friends, as you prepare for the the season is to think about these words and give of yourselves as the Savior did.  Find your treasures.  Do good in the world.  Always.  No matter the season.




No comments:

Post a Comment