Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Reunited

Antonieta Gatica
Last week I was searching on Facebook for old friends as I do from time to time and low and behold I got a hit...my companion from my mission in Antofagasta, Chile!  I was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1996 and I expected to serve an eighteen month mission as is customary for young women.  Upon my arrival in Antofagasta, I met Sister Antonieta Gatica a beautiful young Chilena woman.  The funny thing was that we didn't exactly hit it off right away.  She was not impressed by the stereotypical "spoiled" American young men and women that she had so far encountered but they left the best for last (I was her last companion before going home from her mission).  In all honesty it really was long hours and hard work!  Also, she didn't speak a word of English and Spanish was new to me.  Fortunately for me I had two things going for me; I had no idea she didn't like me and I am a hard worker who loves the Lord plus, I'm ME!  We immediately became close friends who worked well together serving the needs in the community and God.  After a few months of work, unbeknownst to me, I had fibromyalgia and my problems began.  I had horrible knee and back pain which caused me great pain to walk.  Unlike the missionaries here in the United States who have cars or bikes, Sister Gatica and I had to walk everywhere.  We would walk for miles and miles each and everyday in the sand or cement if lucky.  During that time I had been transferred companions including areas and Sister Gatica was sent home.  After struggling with the pain for several weeks I was finally sent to doctors, then put on bed rest and then eventually I was sent home.   I moved back to California but then shortly thereafter moved to Colorado and we lost touch.  I have been searching ever since.  We have been catching up and she has a twelve year old son and like me has never married.  I remember she always said she wanted to have quintuplets of both boys and girls so they could go on their missions at the same time!  All I could think of is mass feedings and all those dirty diapers....yuck!!  I will have to remind her of that. :)

Aside from my rusty Spanish skills, I thoroughly enjoy talking to and catching up with Antonieta.  I'm getting to know her in a completely different light, too.  We are now women.  She is a mother.  On the mission it was almost solely about the Lord and family and now it's those plus life, pain, illness.  She was shocked to hear that I still have the problems all these years later with my knees and that it has progressed.  Yes, me too.
Antonieta and Pablo Gatica
 

No comments:

Post a Comment